The Mom Next Door Interview Series: Margaret A.

Tuesday, July 22, 2014


I have been a fan of Margaret's blog for a few years now and I'm thrilled to get to introduce you all to her through our Mom Next Door interview this week.  There are so many instances in parenting that are not very funny at the time, but Margaret has a way of writing about them that makes you choke on your coffee while laughing aloud.  I sometimes find myself in an actual frustrating moment that I recall Margaret's funny wisdom from one of her posts and I'm able to approach it with a little more humor than I might have without having already read her witty insight and honest reflection in how absurd it all can be sometimes.

Aside from her hilarious posts about raising kids, I also much enjoy her more serious posts like this one from Father's Day and this one about wanting to call a 'real grown up' when the times get tough.  (I've linked up some of my favorite posts throughout her interview if you'd like to check out some of her stuff that I love most).  Please take a moment or two to learn more about Margaret and her delightful look at how to find the funny in the frustrating.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Who are you?
Margaret Ables
Age: 42
Lives: Los Angeles

Who is in your family?  I have three kiddos - a five year old boy, a four year old boy and a two year old girl. In spite of vowing that I would not let another being into my house whose poop I was responsible for we have recently taken in a stray cat named Avril. 


What do you do for work?  I am a freelance comedy writer.

Which chore is your least favorite?  Wow - this is like trying to decide on a favorite child. The chores are all so terrible in their own uniquely terrible way. I'm gonna go with laundry - so Sysiphian!


What would your pre-mom self be surprised to know about motherhood?  Oh, pre-Mom self! Nothing will prepare you for the sheer amount minutiae you are in for! Snack making! Car driving! Butt wiping! But I'll tell you - you didn't know how much you were missing in your city - pumpkin patches, the zoo, Fourth of July parades - you can't imagine how much you'll enjoy those things through your kids' eyes.


What keeps you up at night?  Bills, To-Do lists. All the standard stuff. Also currently 'Orange is the New Black' MUST. WATCH. ALL. THE. EPISODES.

How do you unwind ore re-charge?  Mostly by napping and ill-advised snacking.


What big projects, worries, or events have you busy right now?  We're in the middle of a cross-country move with three kids six and under. So I'd say that.

What do you miss most from Mom days already gone by?  Three words: New. Baby. Smell. 


What has become (at least for now) you're parenting mantra or guiding principle?  Parenting is like exercise. It's hard and a lot of time you don't feel like it and annoying people claim how much they love it all the time but at the end of the day it's worth doing and good for you and can at rare moments even feel almost ecstatically wonderful.



2 comments:

  1. She's one of my faves. I, too, have almost spit liquid outta my mouth while reading her posts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. im the curly haired kid, its been 10 years, i cant handle it anymore

    ReplyDelete